Several members of Unity Baptist Church of Christ in Switzer, South Carolina came to north Georgia and settled in Springtown Valley in the early 1840’s. Unity Baptist Church was constituted on March 10, 1849. Unity’s first church house, a primitive log building, was located in old Cass County about three miles east of Plainville. The church and cemetery were within the borders of the plantation purchased by William Franklin in 1846.
The church was moved westward two miles then later moved a second and third time. On May 10, 1887 the congregation purchased land and erected the present church house. Classrooms were added in 1949. In 1955 the church was remodeled and bricked. In 1976 the steeple was remodeled and the bell was repaired for service.